So I'll admit it, it has definently been hard on my mission. I got here and we basically had to start all over again. We have had people that seem like they want to listen to our message then drop us. It's not the lack of effort on our part. We have been visiting investigators and tracting what feels like non-stop with no prevail. We haven't had one single person that we have taught (that the sisters didn't take) show up to church but, the Lord watches out for us. I remember hearing a lot before I left that you'll have bad days but the good days will make it worth it. Well, that happened this week for sure.
To start off this week we decided to visit someone that they tracted into a couple of months ago but never really got around to teaching. We got there and the house and people in it were definitely rough which is fine because the gospel can bless all lives. There were definite signs of some hard drugs being taken. For example, on the table that I was about to lay my scriptures on I noticed that there were some white streaks on the table and I guess I could've touched them to see if it was the powdery substance I thought it was but I really didn't want that particular substance on my hands. The peoples' teeth (the ones they had) showed signs of wear from harsh chemicals but that turned out to be an amazing lesson.
We gave one of the gentleman there a Book of Mormon and he said that he would have it read in at least two days as he finished the entire Bible in four (granted he was in jail). The down side is he was moving but the rest are staying. We committed them to baptism on the 31st of August.
Then we were carried on after that doing what any other missionaries in the South do confounding preachers (another story about that but that is for another time) and being followed by not so friendly canines. Then yesterday is when we really saw the blessings of the Lord in our work.
Yesterday during Gospel Principles we got informed that someone called the Branch President asking how she could be baptized. Yes, this really did happen. A couple thoughts ran through our minds, it could be a prank call. But they left a number so we decided to call it. The lady that we talked to was named Florence but, being from the South, she told us to call her Miss Flo. She was super excited about getting to meet us.
After dinner with the Branch President we decided to try to find her. After Google Maps lying to us and a little inspiration we were able to find her. She was one of the sweetest old ladies I have met. She is struggling with Lupus right now but that isn't slowing her down. She was meeting with her friend in Knoxville and her friend told her she was getting baptized and that Miss Flo needed to call her local branch to figure out how to join.
She also went on to inform us that she was actually told not to come back from other churches. That's definitely not how Christ told us to treat the widowed and afflicted!
We committed her to baptism on the 24th of August and our lesson went fantastic. My trainer said that he felt like he was watching an episode of the District and he actually didn't want to jump in because he was scared he would mess something up.
Then after this we got an online referral from one of the cards we handed out. Which unfortunately we couldn't meet because we don't teach when the sun don't shine.
We also tracted into a couple and they told us to call them Mama Lou and Big daddy. We had a really good discussion with them and have a return appointment with them.
This week truly has been a blessing and our hard work and effort has been rewarded. I wasn't able to mention all the people that we have met too. I love it down here and if I didn't get my Visa I'd be alright with it. The people down here are so caring and even if they are stubborn and believed they have been saved even when they are cussing out another religion. I am so grateful for this opportunity to learn and grow.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the guy who had that amazing dream. Yeah, he got baptized this last weekend.
Love,
Elder Saueressig
No comments:
Post a Comment