Monday, September 2, 2013

Week 12...Campinas, Brazil

So I finally made it to Brazil! It is definitely different down here. Most of the people are pretty nice. They understand that I can´t understand them at all which I think it is good. Also, if they know any English they try to use that with me. I do notice though that I can understand more and more every day. For example, I can now understand when they ask me questions personally. It is actually starting to be weird though because I tried to teach English and all I could think was Port. I am also happy because my trainer is a native. I like it because he speaks English to me and I speak Port. back to him. He is really patient with me which is probably a good thing.
 
As for our area, we are serving in Mogi Mirim which was shut down almost over a year ago because sisters were serving there and they were dating and doing other bad stuff. So we get to open the area. It is really tough because we almost spent an entire day trying to find a map to get there. Also we have to ride a bus for 30 minutes to get there every and back again. Which brings me to another point. DON´T DRIVE IN BRAZIL! It is insane. The people will swerve right in front of you maybe 2 inches off of your bumper and motorcycles are flying in between the cars constantly. Also cars don´t stop for people here but when the people aren´t driving they are nice. I have gotten two jerseys in under a week here.
 
Also the buildings here are very different. They use materials that will last a long time. There is no such thing as carpet here and everything is brick or concrete. Right now we are sharing a house with another set of Elders while they find a house for us. I think our house is pretty nice in general. Although there are ants and other insects. Also they don´t have hot water heaters here. So they have this thing that attaches to the shower head and heats up the water. I think it makes the water just warm enough so you don´t have hypothermia. It is definitely different down here but I don´t think that I´d want it another way. Ants and all.
 
I love you all so much and pray for you guys every night. Try not to be jealous of the paradise that I´m living in. The mangos here make up for any bad thing. I know that God is watching over me.
Com muito Amo
Elder Saueressig
 
Ps My president want me to change my name on the name tag to Elder Grant (Elder Saueressig's middle name - a family name from Sarah's family). I don´t really want to and I told him that I wanted to think about it. Just giving you guys a heads up in case my name tag says that.

No comments:

Post a Comment