Sunday, September 15, 2013

Week 13....Campinas, Brazil

This was one of those tough weeks for sure. I think it is actually harder to find people here in Brazil to teach than in Tenn. Maybe it is just because we are opening a new area. We have been working really hard making contacts with people but no success. I´m am really excited for this week because we are going to get a lot of referrals from the members this week.
 
This week was tough both spiritually and physically. Two days in a row we walked and hour straight for lunch. Then we knocked doors for 2-3 hours and then walked an hour back to the church. Also included is the 30 minute walk to get to the bus every morning and night. Which is normally where all the stories happen. Nevertheless my feet have seen better days. They are a lot better now but I had five blisters on my feet for most of the last 2 weeks. Also I have an amazing farmers tan now. I am actually darker than some of the natives. Also where I live there is another set of missionaries. So every night we play Monopoly deal and drink sugo de limea or lime juice except it´s not super sour just a little bit. I think this is what keeps me sane with the language and all. Last night we had pancakes which was amazing because they don´t have maple syrup here and pancakes at all. Luckily, the other American that is with me, his parents sent extract of maple or something like that and we had maple syrup and pancakes.
 
The members here are pretty awesome too. We have one member name Thiago and he loves us. We are teaching his mom and I´m pretty sure she will be baptized soon. He gave me a Brazilian jersey last week and this week he gave me a little Darth Vader statue. I think it´s pretty cool. At this rate my suitcases will only be things from Brazil when I return. How they eat in Brazil is very different too. We have lunch with members here instead of dinner. Lunch is a huge meal and dinner is just a snack. I think the first words I recognized and learned was, eat more and I´m full. I am starting to understand the language a lot better and I have been talking with the kids a lot here. The members are super nice though and really try to help so I don´t feel too bad. Right now I can understand when one person is talking to me but when more start my brain just kind of stops working. I notice progress every day though.
 
I love you all so much and sorry if my letters stop making sense. I have been trying to only speak Port. and I have noticed that my English already is getting worse. Also the keyboards here are messed up too.
 
Com Muito Amo
Elder Saueressig(I am going to keep this name)
 
P.S.(from a follow-up email between Elder Saueressig and his mom)  I told the assistants that I want to keep my last name because I think I am the first Elder Saueressig and I don´t want to change it. Oh and I read that talk it (a talk in the September Liahona/Ensign by Elder Holland) was pretty amazing. I have a deep respect for that man. I´m pretty sure if I met him I would pull a King Lamoni and pass out because of the spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment